When we diversify our interests and our inspirations, our work is always better. Why wouldn’t it be the same when it comes to diversifying our team?
We design for the world, so we need to make sure our team reflects and honours this wide range of thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Bolstering our studio with creative minds from all backgrounds helps us escape the echo chamber whilst also giving opportunities to talent who might previously not get an industry “in”.
"With so many platforms and organisations to choose from, it was a studio-wide decision to find one that felt most right for us."
With so many platforms and organisations to choose from, it was a studio-wide decision to find one that felt most right for us. We partnered with D&AD Shift, an intensive night-school programme that first launched in 2016. With a goal of disrupting the industry, D&AD Shift aims to create an accessible space for self-made talent to learn from, network with and find job opportunities.
In 2021, we partnered with D&AD, offering time and mentorship to one of the Shifters. After the 3 months was up, Csaba earned himself a spot on our intern programme, knocking our socks off and is now a fully-fledged member of the Here team.
Then, in 2022, we returned to D&AD, setting a studio brief and offering up 6 mentees to work with the Shifters, as well as our ECD overseeing the work.
Whilst it’s a step in the right direction, we recognise this is barely even the beginning. We want to continue diversifying our team and our inspirations. It’s yet to be decided whether we partner with D&AD Shift again, rather than going with CSM night school, for example. It's our ambition to learn from this experience and potentially host our own outreach to schools.
- Actively engaging with the industry through our involvement with D&AD and the Creative Mentor Network, placing ourselves in conversations and taking small steps towards bringing about positive change in the realm of ED&I.
- Identifying additional opportunities to have a meaningful voice within our industry on the topic of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion.
- Exploring ways to establish direct connections with local schools in our community, seeking to overcome barriers and provide opportunities for young talent to enter our industry.
- Spreading the message of the importance of ED&I in everything we do, emphasising the significant role diversity plays in creating exceptional work that resonates with our clients' audiences.
- Initiating efforts to address ED&I (Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion) within our company and the wider industry.
- Identifying D&AD Shift as a partner company and committing both time and financial resources to support this initiative.
- Participating in the D&AD Shift program and successfully hiring a talented individual from the program to join our team.
- Establishing an internal ED&I forum to foster discussions, exchange ideas, and set ambitious goals for the next three years.
- Introducing ED&I training for all staff members to enhance awareness and understanding of the importance of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion.
- Partnering with the Creative Mentor Network and providing the opportunity for six of our workers to volunteer their time for mentorship over a period of three months.
- Utilising the ED&I forum to define our ambitions, prioritise areas of focus, and shape our approach for the next three years.
- Making informed decisions about future partnerships in the ED&I space to continue learning and growing as a team.
- Planning ongoing ED&I training sessions for the entire studio, ensuring that our commitment to Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion remains embedded in our daily practices.